Saturday 28 May 2016

Apricot, ginger and walnut buns

These were thrown together in a hurry, using my good friend the Muffin Method, which is why the ingredients are only in cups.  I'm really pleased with how well they turned out.  However I should mention that they're not as healthy as my usual cake recipes, because there's a small amount of real actual added sugar in them.  Shock horror.  I was using up a small amount of crystalised ginger, and even though I rinsed off the outer coating of sugar crystals, the crystalisation process itself has infused a lot of sugar into the ginger, and a quick rinse isn't going to get rid of that.  But by damn, crystalised ginger is sooo good! 
Not the best photo of food I've ever taken; the camera is more interested in my tea mug than the bun...

1 1/2 cups No 1 Baking Mix
1/4 cup broken walnut pieces
1/4 cup chopped soft dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped crystalised ginger (with the sugar rinsed off if you are trying to minimise the carb hit)
1 tsp xylitol
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs
1 tblsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Mixed seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower and sesame) for a topping, if you like

Seive the baking powder and spices into the baking mix, add the xylitol and the nuts and dried fruit and stir all together.  Add the eggs and oil and enough water to make a soft but firm consistency.  Spoon into greased bun tins or muffin cups - it made seven medium-sized ones for me - and sprinkle with mixed seeds if you like a crunchy topping.  Bake at 150 degrees C (fan) for 25 - 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment